Phil and his bride Kim have been married since the summer of 1985. They have three fantastic grown kids, 7 grand kids and have lived in Chicago since 1993. For more than three decades, Phil has served God full-time on the front lines of urban youth ministry interrupting violence in the life of youth and young adults one relationship at a time.
- Phil has served in North Lawndale since 1993 as Youth Pastor and Associate Pastor of Lawndale Community Christian Church until 2016.
- In 2003 Pastor Phil planted at church called The House Covenant Church or more known as The House—a Christ-centered, hip-hop worship service. The House has been featured on BET, Fox News Chicago, MSNBC Nightly News, PBS, WGN, Jet (2006), Ebony (2010), Campus Life (2005), The New York Times, and The Chicago Sun-Times.
- Phil is the Founder and CEO of The Firehouse Community Arts Center (FCAC) a converted 100-year-old Chicago Firehouse. We work to prevent and interrupt the cycle of violence in the life of youth and young adults through the power of the arts and faith. We are committed to journey with street influenced young men toward workforce development, education, wholistic transformation and empowerment toward healing and wholistic ministry. We engage in Poetry, dance, culinary arts, audio engineering, fashion and visual The Firehouse Community Art Center seeks to “Spark New Flames One Life at a Time”!
- He co-authors of the book The Hip-Hop Church (Intervarsity Press, 2006) which is in its twelfth publishing. His writing is published in theological journals and he has also contributed chapters and articles in several books relating to youth ministry.
- Phil has his Bachelor of Arts degree from Trinity International University (Deerfield) in communication
- Phil received his Master of Divinity degree Northern Theological Seminary with a with an emphasis in Christian community development as a John Perkins scholar.
Shout Out from;
Dr. Michael Eric Dyson, Professor, TV host, Author and Black Intellectual
“Phil is one of the most superbly gifted youth ministers I have ever met. He combines a keen appreciation for Christian ministry with an incredible knowledge of youth culture. Phil is able to reach youth because he understands where they live and how they think, but most important, how they navigate the perilous terrain of urban life. I know of no one who is more qualified to reach, teach and preach to youth and the often-bewildered parents who don’t have a clue about their children’s worlds. Phil is the bomb: he’s as explosive as a hand-grenade and he packs a powerful punch for the cause of Christ.”